sidebar close button

Graduate Student-at-Large (Non-Degree Seeking)

Reply to Offer of Admission

Let us know if you plan to attend NEIU! This will help us prepare for your arrival and guide you through the important next steps. Access the “Intent to Enroll” button by logging into your applications portal at

  • Access your Application Status Portal
  • Scroll down to the Application Checklist
  • Click on Reply to Offer of Admission
  • Select your response to the admission offer
  • Submit your response

Set Up Your NEIUport Account

First, activate your account in NEIUport, the University’s secure online portal, so you can access information, your Nmail, online tools, services and more. Once activated, explore the Current Student tab in NEIUport to learn how to:

  • Check the status of financial aid awards (if applicable).
  • Look up, register, and pay for classes.
  • Locate forms and academic resources information.
  • Inform the University about changes to your contact information.
  • View your academic profile, unofficial transcript, and any holds on your account.
  • Check your end-of-semester grades.
  • Use the Degree Evaluation tool to model how your credits will count towards fulfilling the requirements for any undergraduate degree program at Northeastern Illinois University.

Nmail is your University-issued email account. You will be provided with your Nmail address during the NEIUport activation process. The password you create for NEIUport will be the same password you will use to log in to your Nmail account. 

Official University communications will be sent to your Nmail account. You will be responsible for reading and responding to these communications, so please be sure to check your Nmail daily.

N-Safe is the system the University uses to provide students, faculty and staff with security and school closure alerts. Sign up for N-Safe and choose how you'd like notifications to be sent to you – by email and/or text message.

After activating your NEIUport account, you can access additional University accounts and Student Computing Services (SCS) computer lab workstations at all Northeastern locations. Use your NETID/username and the password you created when you activate your NEIUport account to access the workstations and your other Northeastern online accounts.

Desire to Learn (D2L) is an online learning environment that houses syllabi, course materials and tools you will use for many of the courses you will take at Northeastern. D2L also enables you to communicate with the faculty members teaching your courses and your classmates. Familiarize yourself with D2L before your first day of classes.

Register for Classes

After meeting with your Graduate Advisor, peruse the class schedule and register for classes via NEIUport.

Provide immunization records

All students must provide documentation of immunization/vaccination history to Northeastern Illinois University Student Health Services. Instructions are available online. Discounted vaccinations and free immunization reviews are available at NEIU Student Health Services.

All students are required to provide documentation of COVID-19 vaccination or a COVID-19 vaccination exemption form to the NEIU Health Portal. Students who are approved for a COVID-19 vaccination exemption are required to submit weekly test results. Return to Campus-Student Information has further details. Additionally, proof of other routine immunizations must be submitted to NEIU Student Health Services. Instructions are available online.

Additional Information

Deferring Your Admission

To request a deferral of your application or admission for up to one year, please log into your application portal and complete the Deferment Request of Application or Admission Form.

Transfer Students FAQs

Where do I send my application?

Northeastern Illinois University
Admissions Office
5500 North St. Louis Avenue
Chicago, IL  60625-4699

Apply Online!

What is the application fee?

The application fee is $30.

  • Online applications: check or credit card
  • Mailed applications: check

You may also pay your application fee in person at the Bursar's Office located in Building D, Room 101 with cash, check or credit card.

How do I get an application fee waiver?

In order to receive an application fee waiver code, please send to a copy of one of the following:

  • Fee waiver request form from your community college (see your academic advisor or counselor):
  • Proof of unemployment
  • FAFSA student aid report where expected family contribution (EFC) = 0
  • Department of Human Services or public aid paperwork: Unacceptable documents include LINK/SNAP cards and AllKids Medical Insurance card. 

Where do I send my Transcripts?

Transcripts can be sent electronically to Northeastern Illinois University. Go to the website of your previous school(s) and find the transcript request section. Most schools send directly to Northeastern Illinois University as a selection option. If an email address is needed, please use Transcripts can be mailed to Northeastern Illinois University, Enrollment Services, 5500 North St. Louis Avenue, Chicago, IL 60625

How do I know how my transfer credit will be accepted at Northeastern?

We know how important it is to get credit for courses you have previously taken and not have to repeat any of them. Here is information that will help in understanding how Northeastern Illinois University will accept transfer credit:

Upon applying for admission and sending official transcripts from each college attended all students receive an official transcript evaluation. This is the best and only true indicator of how your credits will transfer.

If you will be coming to Northeastern with an Illinois Community College Board (ICCB) Model Associate of Arts degree all credits will transfer, general education requirements will be met, and no informal evaluation is needed. The revised Associate of Science degree for Fall 2016 and beyond may require an additional social and behavioral science and an additional humanities course as these areas were reduced in the re-construction of the degree to allow students to stay current with the science students at the transfer institutions.

Northeastern provides transfer guides and transfer course equivalencies guides to help in selecting courses at local community colleges that will transfer to Northeastern courses as well as how they meet general education requirements.

Additional transfer credit information

  • We accept transfer credit from schools accredited by the Higher Learning Commission only.
  • We accept college level courses only. Developmental and remedial type courses are not accepted.
  • Science and education over 15 years old and business courses over six years old are not transferrable unless approved by the respective department.
  • Up to 90 total transfer credits are accepted. Maximum of 64 from community college. AP and CLEP are accepted as community college credit.
  • D grades are accepted but limited to two courses and six credit hours in general education coursework. D grades are not accepted in a student’s major or minor.

How many credits will transfer into major?

To be counted towards the major, courses transferred to Northeastern must be accepted by your major department. Specific majors and programs may have limits as to age of the credit as well as the number of transfer credits accepted.  

Can I have my transfer credits re-evaluated?

Students who have submitted transcripts for transfer credit evaluation may request a re-evaluation of transfer credits by completing the Transfer Credit Re-Evaluation Request Form.

It is important to review the transfer polices of your major. The following are general policies for each of Northeastern’s Colleges: 

College of Arts and Sciences

College of Arts and Sciences students must complete a minimum of 15 credit hours in courses at the 200 and/or 300 level in their major and a minimum of nine credit hours in their minor. 

College of Business and Management

The maximum number of transfer credits that may be applied toward a College of Business and Management major program is 24 credit hours, and the maximum number of transfer credits that may be applied toward a minor is nine credit hours. Business courses which are six years old or more are generally not applicable toward a Business and Management major. 

Goodwin College of Education

The maximum number of transfer credits that may be applied toward the Teacher Education Department or Teacher Certification Program is nine credit hours. Coursework must have been completed within five years of the time of acceptance with a grade of “B” or higher.

What happens once I am admitted?

Please see Admitted Students. Click on the Transfer Students tab. You will find comprehensive information on what to do once you have been admitted.

How will I know if I am admitted?

Once your file is complete, an admission decision generally takes two to three weeks. Upon admission, you will receive a congratulations email as well as next steps such as Transfer Orientation, Academic Advising and Registration. The application portal will also inform you of your acceptance status at each stage of the application process.  

Can I attend another college while attending Northeastern?

Dual Admission

Northeastern has signed agreements with many community colleges in the Chicago area, which allow for admission to the community college and Northeastern. Under the agreement, students have full access to Northeastern’s offices of Enrollment Services, Academic Advising, and Financial Aid. Students must maintain continuous full- or part-time enrollment with a 2.0 grade point average to remain eligible for the dual admissions program. Students who are interested in this program should contact the Admissions Office at (773) 442-4050.

Concurrent Enrollment

For students admitted to Northeastern, concurrent registration is available. Prior to enrolling at another college or university, students meet with their academic advisor to determine which courses are appropriate for the student’s progress toward graduation. Please refer to Concurrent Registration for important information regarding the transferability of courses and the concurrent registration process.  

Why should I get an Associate Degree?

Students graduating with an approved Illinois Community College Board (ICCB) Associate of Arts degree are granted junior standing and have fulfilled Northeastern’s General Education requirements. 

Please note: In addition to Northeastern’s General Education requirements, some majors and programs require specific general education course work for admission into or completion of their program. For more information, please see Northeastern’s Academic Catalog for your major.  

How do I know what classes to take before transferring?

If you are attending an Illinois Community College, you may also use the Transfer Course Equivalency Guides to help determine which courses meet the specific requirements for your intended major. Your community college counselor or academic advisor, as well as the Admissions Counselors at Northeastern, are an excellent resource for planning your course work. 

When should I apply if I'm currently enrolled in another college?

If you are currently attending another college you need to apply as soon as you know the semester you plan to start in at Northeastern. Complete the application and send your official transcripts even though you have courses in progress. This is needed in order to make the admissions decision. Resend the official transcript upon completion of courses to update your record. This allows you to receive the admissions decision early enough to allow for planning, registration, etc.